[wendell-meetinghouse] Friends of the Wendell Meetinghouse seeks treasurer and grant writing help

marianne sundell msundell65 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 10:04:05 EST 2016

Dear friends and neighbors,

As many of you know, Friends of the Wendell Meetinghouse is a non-profit organization dedicated to restore and re-opening the Wendell Meetinghouse for community use. Last year, thanks to generous support from the community, we took a giant step towards this goal by completing a very costly historic structures report  which provides the documentation needed for large state construction grants. We are currently raising funds to provide a match for those grants and also to paint the buildings exterior.

Our current treasurer Gail Krutka is hoping someone will step up and take over as this role. She has offered to train her replacement if needed. Currently, serving as treasurer only takes a few hours a month including attending monthly meetings, keeping records, and occasionally a few extra hours  to help out with benefit events and other fundraising projects. Our meetings on the third Tuesdays of the month at 2 pm, but we may be able too meet at a different time if need be.

Now that we have the required documentation, we are looking for more help writing grants. The structures report, which is required by the Massachusetts Historical Commission, also provides solid documentation for small foundation grants which can help us accumulated the funds needed to match state grants. The more help we have with this, the sooner we will be able to re-open the building for community use.

During the process of completing a survey for the report, it was discovered that the property was never legally owned by the former congregation who we all believed had sold the building to FWM when they could no longer afford to maintain it. Some title research revealed that ownership of the building had never been legally transferred from the town to the congregation. We have been working with the Wendell Selectboard to resolve this issue which we expect to happen over the next several months. This will clear the way to start writing grants, hopefully this summer.

After serving as our president for three years Nan Riebschlaeger decided not to seek re-election last fall and I took over that job. Laura Morin is the clerk and Charles Smith is the vice-president.  Thank you Nan for all her work moving us closer to our goals!

If you are interesting in serving as treasurer, helping with grants, or pitching in with other fundraising efforts please contact me at msundell65 at hotmail.com or call 978-544-8981.

Marianne Sundell

Sent from Mail for Windows 10