[wendell-meetinghouse] Presentation on our plans to restore the Wendell Meetinghouse -Monday Dec. 4 at Friends of the Wendell Meetinghouse Annual Meeting

marianne sundell msundell65 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 27 13:19:02 EST 2017

Please join us Monday December 4th  at 6:30 pm at Wendell Senior Center for the Friends of the Wendell Meetinghouse annual meeting. Jerry Barilla, our project manager, will be giving a brief presentation on our plans to restore the Wendell Meetinghouse along with our annual election.

Jerry worked with architect Margo Jones on the plans the restore the meetinghouse and with Renaissance Builders who provided a detailed budget for our historic structures report. He also oversees all of our construction projects.

Our annual meeting is also when we have our election. As officers terms are staggered, the only seat regularly set for the election this year is Vice President. We are also still looking for a clerk and would be so grateful if somebody could put in the 2 hours a month to do this job.

Charles Smith has been serving as VP. Given recent health challenges, and reaching his 80's, I suspect he would welcome another person relieving him of the obligation to attend brief monthly meetings. As a board member he would always be welcome to join us without the same obligation to help make a quorum.

Anyone who is interested in serving as VP or clerk is welcome to run. Our officers meet monthly at a time that works for all. The only official job of the VP is to lead meeting when the president is unable to do so. The clerk just needs to keep minutes at our monthly minutes which run about an hour.

We also set have a few seats open on our board. Board members only need to come to a few meetings a year and otherwise support the effort in whatever ways they choose.

In the event that we have a contest for our officers and a real election, your membership must be up to date in order to vote. Anybody who has made a donation of $10 or more, donated a prize, or played a benefit concert for us in 2017 is up to date on their membership. Everyone else is welcome to renew their membership at the meeting.

As we approach the resolution of the legal problems related to ownership, we are hoping that our historic structures report will help us to access grants reopen the building in the not so distant future which should be exciting!  In order to pull this off we still need a few more folks to play a bigger role in this project.

Once the building is open it could serve a multitude of uses. My favorite role model is the Wellfleet Preservation Hall (www.wellfleetpreservationhall.org<http://www.wellfleetpreservationhall.org>) Some the activities there include music, movies, theater, dances, movement classes, winter farmers market, community and seasonal celebrations, weddings, after school and summer kid classes, and workshops and meetings for adults. So anybody with an interest in space for any of these activities is encouraged to consider helping bring a similar community center to Wendell.

Marianne Sundell for
Friends of the Wendell Meetinghouse

Sent from my iPhone